A Bicycle Tour of the Harbor Islands
10:00 am, Sunday, July 22, 2007
Bike Boston Harbor from Castle Island to Deer Island and back. We'll try
out the recently opened East Boston Greenway Phase II, the Winthrop Greenway,
the old and new Charles River Esplanades, and the South Bay Harbor Trail on
Brought to you by the MassBike
- Where: Meet at the concession stand on Castle Island, Fort Independence Park, South Boston (at the end of Day Boulevard).
- When: Departing at 10 am.
- Distance: about 40 miles.
- Pace: Relaxed, 10 mph plus stops.
- Terrain: Mostly flat.
- Route: Mixture of busy streets and shared-use paths.
- Lunch: The lunch stop is at Constitution Beach in East
Boston, where you can swim if it is hot.
- Photos:[2005 Ride]
Map and Cue Sheet
Map and cue sheet
(1,828,336 bytes in Adobe Acrobat PDF format
Cue sheet in plain ASCII text
JPEG map (4,254,410 bytes)
JPEG altitude profile (163,092 bytes)
The Boston Harborwalk passes through Castle Island. Or, take 8th St. from South Boston to Day Blvd. and follow either the road or the parallel path.
You can take your bike on T rapid transit lines and some bus lines for no extra charge. Details are on the MBTA website.
From Andrew Station (Red Line):
You can also join us sometime between 11:15 and 11:30 at the blue caboose
at the south end of the East Boston Greenway.
- From Andrew Square, take Preble St. east.
- Where Preble St. ends at the rotary, use the rotary or crosswalks to reach the Columbia Road side and pick up the path.
- Cross Day Blvd. by the L Street Beach and join the path there
Take the JFK exit from Rte. 3 and follow Day Blvd. to the end. Please consider carpooling to the ride.
You can turn around in East Boston before we head through Winthrop to Deer
Island or leave the group on the way back in East Boston or Chelsea, if you
are headed north or Sullivan Square, if you are headed west.
We'll be near several Blue Line stations in East Boston and will pass
the Sullivan Square Orange Line station twice.