Neponset River Greenway

The Neponset River: A History

Seventeenth Century

  • 1619: Fur trading was begun by English on Thompson's Island. Native Americans used the Neponset River to bring skins down to island for sale.
  • before 1633: Richard Collicott built a small wharf on Guiliver's Creek to carry furs to Thompson's Island and Boston.:
  • 1633: Massachuset Sachem Kutchamakin moved his tribe to the high ground above the falls of the Neponset along present-day Medway Street.
  • 1635: Israel Stoughton's grist mill begun on falls of Neponset. It was the first of three mills for flour, gun powder and paper making.
  • 1640: Shipbuilding was begun at Gulliver's Creek Wharf. Small ships called shallops were built.
  • 1658: Native Americans were moved to Ponkapoag, on the banks of Ponkapoag Pond in present-day Canton by John Eliot.
  • 1658: The first Milton Town Landing was built on Gulliver's Creek downstream from Collicott's Wharf.
  • 1673: John Trescott built a lumber mill on the Neponset River upstream on the present-day Mattapan-Hyde Park line.

    Eighteenth Century

  • 1765: A chocolate mill was begun at Neponset River.
  • 1770: Daniel Vose's Wholesale Shipping Warehouses at the second Milton Town Landing at Lower Mills were at the peak of their operation. Ship building and commercial shipping were the major river industries at the estuary.:
  • 1773: George Clark built a paper mill on remnants of Trescott's Lumber Mill. This became the Tileston and Hollingsworth Paper Mill in 1836.

    Nineteenth Century

  • 1826 The first railroad in America began operation moving granite from Quincy quarries to Gulliver's Landing in the Neponset River. The landing was at the mouth of Gulliver's Creek at the Neponset River.
  • 1837: The Granite Avenue Bridge was built and opened for travel.
  • 1844: The Old Colony Railroad was established by the State Legislature.
  • 1846: The 3-1/4-mile-long Dorchester and Milton Branch Railroad was built between Port Norfolk and present-day Mattapan Square. After it opened for travel December of 1847, river traffic and shipbuilding. stopped.
  • 1854: Henry L. Pierce, nephew of Walter Baker, assumed control of Baker Chocolate Mills. Over 40 years Pierce expanded chocolate manufacturing to include 7 mills over 14 acres.
  • 1893: The Metropolitan District Commission (MDC) was established. The Neponset River Reservation was proposed to preserve the Neponset Marshes between Lower Mills and Granite Avenue.
  • 1899: 43 parcels of land totaling 232 acres were acquired by the MDC as the Neponset River Marshes Reservation.

    Twentieth Century

  • 1959: The Old Colony Line ceased operations.
  • 1964: The Walter Baker Co. relocated to Dover, Delaware.
  • 1978: Consolidated Railways (Conrail) acquired the Dorchester and Milton Railroad right-of-way.
  • 1985: The MDC acquired the former Neponset Drive-In and Hallet Street Dump as riverfront parkland.
  • July 1990 Rails removed from Dorchester and Milton Branch Railway right-of-way
  • July 1992 The MDC acquired the Dorchester and Milton Branch Railway right-of-way for $530,000 to link the drive-in and dump site parkland with the Neponset Marshes.
  • December 6-7 1997 The MDC and volunteers from the community resurfaced the Lower Mills bridge over the Neponset, making it possible to walk or bike the entire right-of-way.
  • December 18 1997 The Milton Selectmen vote to approve the mixed use path from Dorchester Lower Mills/Milton Village to Central Ave.
  • September 1999: Cleanup of hazardous waste on Neponset Trail begins
  • June 2000: Hazardous waste cleanup complete
  • June 16 2000: Pope John Paul II Park dedication

    Twenty-first Century

  • April 2001: Neponset Trail construction went out to bid
  • May 1 2001: Pope John Paul II Park opened to the public
  • May 2 2001: Neponset Trail construction bids due
  • September 2001: Neponset Trail construction starts

    [Neponset Greenway]